Community Development & Regeneration
Community Development is about local people working in partnership with key agencies and partners to identify and address issues that cause concern and to make improvements. The aim is to build communities based on fairness, equality and mutual respect. It starts from the principle that within any community there is a wealth of knowledge and experience which, if used in creative ways, can be channeled into cooperative action to achieve a communities' desired goals.
Community Regeneration refers to the successful result of the process of community development - it seeks to restore the unequal balance of opportunities and life-chances that can be faced by people and looks to deliver real results.
Community Development and Regeneration are not new concepts to Clwyd Alyn Housing Association: for several years, we have a dedicated Community Development Officer, pro-active residents who are committed to working in partnership with other agencies, to help reduce: deprivation, social exclusion and inequalities in local communities.
Why do we do it?
Clwyd Alyn Housing Association’s overall objective is ‘Opening doors and Enhancing Lives’ and both ‘Community Regeneration’ and ‘Community Development’ play a major role in delivering this vision.
Our aim for local communities, where we have a presence, is to be:
- Inclusive: where everyone has opportunities to access services and get involved
- Attractive: places where people want to live, work and/or volunteer
- Active: where residents have plenty of opportunities to participate (i.e. in community activities, training, volunteering and/or employment).
Over the next year (2017-18) we will focus on the following 7 key objectives, to help achieve Community Regeneration in areas where we have a presence:
- Addressing Digital Exclusion
- Improving neighbourhoods and the local environment
- Tackling poverty
- Improving Communication
- Promoting independence
- Bringing Communities Together (Community Cohesion)
- Building Skills and Confidence.
Louise Blackwell is our Community Development Officer and works with residents, established groups and partners to develop projects that benefit local communities.
How can residents get involved?
Do you have ideas for projects that would help improve your community, however are not sure where to find funding?
There are a range of grant opportunities which may help you and/or your local resident group, including:
- Community Housing Cymru Group: http://chcymru.org.uk/en/policy/funding-opportunities/
- BIG Lottery Awards for All Wales: https://www.biglotteryfund.org.uk/global-content/programmes/wales/awards-for-all-wales
- Tesco ‘Bags of Help’: https://www.groundwork.org.uk/sites/tescocommunityscheme
If you would like to make a funding application for a project that would help to improve your local community and / or if you would like any help turning your ideas into a reality, please contact Louise by Tel 01745 536913 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t forget to like us on Facebook and/or follow us on Twitter, so you can keep up to date with what is going on in your local community…
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ClwydAlyn
Twitter - https://twitter.com/ClwydAlyn