Opening Doors - Enhancing Lives

Clwyd Alyn Housing Association
Subscribe to our newsletter

Contact Centre:
0800 1835757
For cheaper calls from a mobile:
01745 536800

Search Subscribe Subscribe Menu
Subscribe to our newsletter

Improvements to your Home

Before you make any alterations to your home you must write to us to obtain written permission from us.  This is required to ensure that your home is not damaged or made unsafe.  In some cases you will also have to obtain Planning Permission or Building Regulations Approval from the local authority.  An alteration is anything which is an addition or change to the property or its gas, electrical or water supply.

Examples of the most common alterations are:

  • Moving/removing fitted units or doors
  • Modifications to central heating
  • Plumbing in washing machines or other appliances
  • Building patios
  • Knocking down walls
  • Double glazing
  • Fitting a gas fire or building a feature fireplace
  • Enclosing porches
  • Extensions
  • Additional fencing
  • Satellite dishes
  • Fitting different light switches
  • Adding or moving electric points

All electrical work must be done by a qualified electrician under Part P of the Building Regulations requirements and a safety certificate supplied.

Your rent will not increase as a result of any improvements you make. If you do not obtain permission, you may be charged to repair or restore your home.  If permission is given, your responsibility for repairs will be detailed in the letter granting permission.

Please see our advice on Asbestos Management before undertaking any invasive works which may disturb asbestos containing material.

Email Print

This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better.  You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.  Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy.